Tuesday, June 30, 2009

of leaves and trees

This poem was written December 12th, 2007, and I decided I was going to share it with you today.

of leaves and trees

tense tired
exhausted entangled
expecting unmet expectations
this season is suppose to feel good
christmas is coming but
dead leaves still cling to trees
snow would make it better
but this is the south
look up at the winter sky
trying to find comfort and joy
leaves still fall one by one
solitary one comes to me
small misshapen yet it is still beautiful
golden and scarlet
like a kiss from God
i hold it to my face and breathe deep
i smell creation
i smell God
i feel creation
i feel God
a wave of remembrance comes upon me
God is here
has always been here
i just forget to wrap my arms around it
like i wrap my arms around a sweet gum
rough bark touching my soft face
this is where God lives
in the everyday of leaves and trees

2 comments:

  1. Sarah-Kate...I don't know exactly how to put into words how much I love this. Thank you for sharing your gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- I am glad you kept the leaf!

    ReplyDelete